Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Bread and Wine--#73 finished

 This is one of my classic books.  I remember reading one of the author's other books--Fontamara back in college or at least read enough to write an essay or two on it.  One of those classes I still remember--Dr Sanchez in the History Dept, I took 2 classes with him.  One was on the Spanish Civil War and read For Whom The Bells Toll and other books about the war.  I can't remember the other class name but there were no text books, just instead novels.  I have probably kept most of the books so I could probably dig through my shelves to find the others if I wanted.  But obviously I have digressed.  This book Bread and Wine talks about Italy in 1938 being led by a dictator--Mussolini right before they go to war in Ethiopia.  The main character is a communist radical that for several years has been living outside of Italy in exile.  He has come back but is wanted by authorities.  His friends help him hid as a priest and put him up in a small town since his health is bad.  While there the small town is excited to have a priest, even if he won't say Mass.  He is disillusioned with both the dictator and the communists as well as the people that are not striving for something better.  A really good read about this time in Italy and the struggles of the people.

This is a keeper for me, will have to match it up with the other book when I have time to go looking.

No comments: