Wednesday, August 12, 2026

No One Round Here Reads Tolstoy--#70 finished

The rest of the title: Memoirs of a Working-Class Reader.  The author Mark Hodkinson grew up in northern England in a tough working class area and in school was sent to the working class studies instead of the studies that would lead to college.  He did get into journalism knowing he wanted to be a writer and worked from there.  I picked this book basically because of the title but did find it to be interesting and enjoyable.  Definitely English so some words and phrases I just didn't get.  Talks about his love of books where he has over 3500.  He also later becomes a small publisher and the struggles that entails.  I really liked he wrote about things that were floating in my mind--what is well read and even if given someone is well read they really can't expect to remember something in a book they read years before.  I enjoy reading and do read a lot but would not say I am well read.  I also don't expect myself to remember quotes or anything more than simple remembrances of books I read. 

I got this book from PBS from the multiple order listing--where a member lists books that are on WL but they only want to mail as a group of usually at least 2 or 3.  So I sort of skipped ahead of someone waiting.  There is 1 WL for this book and the author talks about how he buys used books, I think he would like PBS.  I used to try harder to read and then mail back off the books I get from the multiple listing but have been slacking off on that.  This one I will get posted & mailed off though, seems like author would want that too.

No comments: