Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Ogallala Blue--#76 finished

Growing up in Nebraska I heard about the Ogallala Aquifer at times in school and probably in the newspaper.  Since moving to Missouri many years ago, surprised at how people here have not heard of it and how important it is, I guess since not directly under, was never really a topic.  This book gives a lot of details and information that I didn't know or think about this large aquifer.  I knew that it was being drained and that crop irrigation was one of the main culprits.  I also know that west of the Rockies there is a drought going on so figured now was a good time to read this book for a little more understanding.  The book is around 20 years old so all while reading it, I kept wondering if things had gotten better since it was written.  I quick read of wikipedia makes it sound like no, not gotten better.  The worse maybe slowed some but not better.  Lots of information in the book, I am not at all a scientist so some of the details, geology, engineering, etc were beyond me but I certainly understood the issues involving this.

Well there are no WL for this book on PBS, it is one that I got through Thrift Books anyway.  This will be a keeper for me.

No comments: