Friday, December 15, 2017

The Statues That Walked--#65 finished

Good read about researchers and Easter Island.  I did a book report back in high school, maybe junior high about Easter Island.  I think it was mostly repeats from the Thor Hyerdall book Kon-Tiki if I remember right that talked about Easter Island.  I have always been interested in obviously the statues and the just plain old how remote this island is from everywhere else.  These researchers I think have hit on a couple things.  First, the statues walked, in other words were rocked back & forth while moving forward from the quarry to where they were setup.  These are some huge & heavy statues and it was always kind of a mystery how they were moved and it sounds like the authors have it figured out.

Then probably the main question for me was why did they stop making the statues?  The authors have figured it was because of the European visitors.  Suddenly the people of the island wanted the items, hats, trinkets, etc that received or stole from the sailors and there was also the likely diseases from these visits that killed off much of the population.  Because the visits were years and years apart and usually of short duration, only a couple days, European sailors were not likely to notice or determine this.  It is really a sad history for the island once the visitors came.

Not sure I will ever actually travel to the island, that is probably a long & expensive plane ticket--need to win a lottery first but still just interesting to think about.

I think there are 3 WL for the book in PBS, I will probably post & send off at some point but in no hurry right now, have plenty of credits & other books to move first.

No comments: