Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Priestdaddy--#36 finished

This book was on my WL but I couldn't remember how it got there.  I read the arts section of the Post Dispatch Sunday paper and it may have been there that I heard about it & put on my WL.  This seems as the most likely happening.  This is a memoir by a lady that grew up with a catholic priest as a father.  He was first a lutheran minister, married with kids, when he decided lutheran wasn't for him & instead wanted to be catholic and went through applying to the bishop on this.  I guess he also did his classes in the seminary & became a married Catholic priest.  This was in the early '80s so probably one of the first, now there are a few more around the country.  The family lived in rectories at parish their parish.  The family also lived in St Louis for many of the author's growing up years and went to the same high school as my wife but my wife went a few years before.  Author may have went with while one of her sisters was there but not sure.

Anyway the story of growing up is an interesting and almost crazy one.  The author is a very good writer and really touches on some deep emotions that make you think throughout the book.  The book started as she & her husband had to move home, which happened to be a rectory in Kansas City.  It is a really good and interesting read.

There are plenty of WL for the book but for now it is a keeper for me.

No comments: