Saturday, June 17, 2023

Jokes My Father Never Taught Me--#48 finished

 This is a sort of memoir by Rain Pryor, one of Richard Pryor's daughters.  She is about the same age as me so interesting hearing her growing up but a completely different life than mine.  Her mom & Richard Pryor were married but it didn't last long and she didn't meet Richard again till she was 4.  Her mom was a hippie sort of Jewish girl but a ton of f-bombs thrown in.  They struggled, I guess Richard didn't help them out at all--she was married to him before he became famous.  The book mentions the several wives and the countless whores that were a constant in Richard's life.  It is a sad story on several levels and even in his death it was sad.  Rain, I think, tried to present a positive spin on their lives but it just doesn't come through.  Lots of interesting stories and info that I didn't know about Richard Pryor but still a tough read overall.

There are no copies and no WL for this book on PBS but for now it goes into a pile that I might loan out to friends if someone is interested.

No comments: