Wednesday, February 28, 2024

The Other Side of Russia--#17 finished

 The rest of the title is:  A Slice of Life in Siberia and the Russian Far East.  The author and her husband spent about 2 years in this area of Russia, their jobs were teaching jobs at universities there in conjunction with University of Maryland.  This was right after the breakup of USSR and Russia was still finding its way.  My interest in getting this book was information about Lake Baikal--I just find this lake interesting in many ways and there wasn't much info I could find when I first joined PBS back in 2009 at least where I was looking then and haven't really looked much since.  A really interesting read about the struggles of life then.  So much has changed I am sure but this is a period of Russia that people struggled and hopefully they remember that time.  Also a time before Putin and everything his being in power has done to the country.

I have posted it on PBS, it is the only copy but who knows if will move or not.

No comments: