Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Cigarette Century--#39 finished

A long & well researched book, at least I assume well research--tons of references in the back of the book.  I liked the info on the history and the beginnings of the research into the health effects of cigarettes.  I am not a smoker so reading this was more for information & entertainment.  The last part of the book dealt more with the legal goings on in the US & then world wide.  While this is important and was good information, just not something I was as interested in.  I think most people know cigarettes bad, big tobacco companies also very very bad, the lengths those companies went to keep the terrible health effects is really a poor reflection on what business should be about.  I probably need to search out a book on the effects of mass consumerism and I would guess cigarettes played a part in pulling us the consumers to the crazy end we are at now.  Oh well, lots of good info but very long book.

There is 1 WL for it on PBS & I have posted it, just waiting for it to be accepted.

No comments: