Friday, September 13, 2019

The Awakening--#61 finished

A classic by a St Louis born author Kate Chopin.  Born in the 1851 and married around 20 and around 35 was widowed with 6 kids.  She had moved to Louisiana when married.  To support her family she started writing and was very successful at it, one of the first women to basically be a full time writer.  This copy also has a few short stories after the main story The Awakening.  I think a couple of her short stories will stay with me in memories, really powerful.  The Awakening, I can see why it is a classic now & why was basically shunned back then--how dare a young married woman flirt with other men and then at end of book take her own life rather than be stuck in her married life.

This is a keeper for me, St Louis author and classic book and with a couple daughters I hope to get one or both of them to read this at some point.

No comments: