Monday, November 30, 2020

Hadji Murad--#100 finished

 WOW, 100 books read for the year and with a month to go still.  Back in Feb or March is when I first thought of this.  I had read a book by Ben Sasse last year or maybe two years ago where he mentioned when working in George W Bush White House there were several staffers that made it a goal of theirs.  It sort of stuck with me & figure this was the year.  Since basically stuck in the house much of the Spring and not much of any social life rest of year--not that I had much anyway, this became a focus.  I am glad I made it.  I have to admit that I did avoid some longer books in order to reach the 100 read.  I don't expect to have this goal again for next year, but glad it got it done.

This is a Leo Tolstoy book that was published after his death.  A good story about the Russians fighting in the Caucasus and Chechnya areas.  The title character is a general that was fighting against the Russians but turns himself in & offers to fight for them since the leader of the rebels--for lack of better term--is a hated enemy of his.  The enemy has his mother, wives and children though and they try to negotiate for them but is unsuccessful.  Story is about the people holding him and his life.  Lot of good information and insight into their lives. 

This is a very cheaply published book, too many to count spelling errors in this, just all through this book. I will keep since it is Tolstoy but might have to look to get a better copy too.

Tolstoy books stay on my keepers so will keep this one.  Also is the 100th book read of 2020 so might keep for that reason too.

No comments: