Friday, September 2, 2022

Adventures in the Anthropocene--#81 finished

 A powerful book about the earth and our time right now.  The author travels the world looking at climate change & issues happening in different areas--atmosphere, mountains, rivers, farmlands, oceans, deserts, savannahs, forests, rocks & cities.  She goes to trouble spots and looks at what is being done and the outlook for immediate future.  She is not a doom and gloom sort--at least I didn't get that--she shows ways in which people are finding ways to cope as best they can and having some success.  Of course problems are in many many areas and the successes seem few and far between but really some interesting things going on out there.  She really gets into some scary scenarios that could be coming down pike--maybe already here.  Book was written in 2014 so I do sort of wonder if people she met with are still having some degree of success and if their ideas have taken root--just don't hear about these things.  This is a book that has really made me think what is really coming in the next many years--water shortages, climate/weather changes, expanding deserts, farmland/food struggles, throw away culture vs diminishing materials--rare earth minerals, etc.  Author does seem to think that humans--us, will find a way to adapt to the changing environment but obviously there were be lives lost and big disruptions but she doesn't really spell that out but the sense of this is there.

I am torn on what to do with this book.  I think it is important enough that more should read it but I am not sure any of my group I share books with would want it.  It is not an easy read--I was on it for over 2 months getting through it.  Might mail off since others on PBS WL I would expect to read it.  Not sure at this point.

No comments: