Monday, September 26, 2022

The Dean's December--#86 finished

 This is a mass market paperback that was sitting on my shelf for a few years so finally pulled it down and read.  I remember picking it up because the cover noted was by winner of Nobel Prize, I thought for this book but was for something earlier.  It is an older book published in 1982.  It is about a college dean from a Chicago university that is in Budapest Hungry with his wife--his wife's mother is dying.  There are struggles there inside the communist country of them being able to see the mother as well as knowing several people sort of watching/spying on their activities as westerners.  The dean also has problems going  on back in Chicago with his job, his family and controversy over some articles he has written.  I really could not get into this book.  There were long paragraphs and pages describing his feelings and thoughts on ongoing stuff and I was just wanting him to get on with the story.  It was a tough read--I questioned why I bothered reading it several times but wanted to get it done.

There are already copies in PBS system and no reason to add to it.  I will donate this away to a little library I guess at some point.

No comments: