Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lemay-The Life and Wars of General Curtis LeMay--#1 finished

First book of the new year finished & it was a good one. I was really impressed by the research done on General LeMay and also by the fact that he is such an important general that I hadn't heard of him before reading this book. I have read some WWII books and seen several movies and I don't recall ever hearing LeMay's name before. I probably have, I read a book or two about MacArthur and figure LeMay had to be mentioned, although MacArthur was hardly mentioned in this book. It was a fascinating time especially to be one of the leaders of the newly being developed on the fly(pun intended) Air Force. Also then his career after WWII starting with developing the Rand Corp and making SAC what it was & is today. Finally his struggles to adjust to the 1960s in his Joint Chiefs position and then his after the military struggles. I actually heard his named mentioned a couple weeks ago while reading this book as the VP to the last 3rd party candidate for president that actually won some electoral votes--Wallace in 1968. Again I had no idea and at one time I knew all candidates & vps for president since the 1900s. I guess the name LeMay didn't stick with me & I never did any further research into him.

I will be posting it on PBS at some point, there are 9 WL for it. I still have Methland and a couple others that I have pulled that I decided to not read but mail off instead. Right now though I just don't feel like getting to the Post Office to get it done so will probably wait till next week.

Still reading Last Night in Twisted River, somewhere around halfway done. Also reading Journey on the Short Bus or something like that, a autobio by a guy who was LD diagnosed that went on to graduate from Brown Univ with honors. So far an interesting read. I will be looking to add another book tonight.

No comments: