Friday, January 5, 2018

End Game--#1 finished

This is a book about chess great Bobby Fischer.  A really interesting person that I didn't know a whole lot about.  The movie Searching for Bobby Fischer was probably my first time I learned much about him beyond chess great turned recluse.  Then later news of his arrest, anti-Semitism and eventual denouncing the US and moving to Iceland.  Obviously a much more complicated person than my general knowledge and glad I read this book to fill in some of the big gaps.  Still, like most I guess, I don't really understand how or why he went off the deep end like he did.  Living in near poverty in CA for years and then turning into an out-spoken anti-Semite.  I would say a sad life but it sure seems like he chose his life so maybe not sad but more of a what could have been instead.

I will post on PBS at some point, there are 7 WL for it so not a big hurry yet.  I have plenty of books to post and enough credits right now.

Glad to get my first book of the new year finished.  I was glad to get to 70 for last year, who knows what this year will bring.

No comments: