Monday, March 27, 2023

Gods of Howl Mountain--#28 finished

 I was looking for something a little different when I picked up this book.  It was that I guess, it is about mountain people in North Carolina after WWII.  The grandmother and her grandson are main characters, grandma worked in a brothel after her husband was killed in WWI and after her daughter sort of went crazy but had a son, grandma had to raise her grandson.  She went into the hills and learned the roots & medicinal ways from an old time healer and this is how she now supported herself and grandson.  The grandson is back from WWII but is missing part of his leg but has a wooden leg.  His job is to run moonshine from the mountains into the town but has to avoid the local and state police out to stop him.  A lot going on in this story but can follow the story lines, just seemed like most story lines didn't end.  Could easily be a 2nd book in here but not sure author will do this, looks like has a couple newer books out since this one.  One criticism I read on PBS was author way over did the details--I that is true at points but I enjoyed the story enough to push through.

There are 11 WL for this book so I will post at some point on PBS & send off.

No comments: