Monday, February 8, 2010

Meely LaBauve--#10 finished

I really enjoyed this book. It is about a boy in the late '50s or early '60s in deep Louisiana swampland. The boy Meely, had lost his mother at age 7 and since that time his father was mostly absent and or drunk so Meely had to pretty much growup by himself. There were several parts that were funny as well as several that were touching and also others adventurous. The book ran through the whole gamut of emotions. Meely's father still played the major role in Meely's life but his screwed up life also forced Meely to grow up fast. Their were racial issues that fit with the times as well. I would say a very good book. Toward the end there was a courtroom part, that always kind of gets me. I pretty much hate courtroom scenes in movies and in books as well. This one wasn't terrible but not sure if it really added much to the book though other than a way to tie up some loose ends.

A very good book, not at all the kind of coming of age type book I expected it to be. I was very happy I read it and will happily pass it on for someone else to enjoy. There is one other copy on PBS so no idea how long it will be before it moves, but no problem with that.

No comments: