Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Religion--#9 finished

I had started The Religion in December of '09, I think so it took a lot longer than I thought it would to finish. Overall I enjoyed the book but it really took quite a bit of time before I really got into it. At 613 pages, it is not a short book, but those first 200 or so pages did not move very fast. It was a book that my one brother recommended so maybe my expectations were too high but I see it as a good book, not close to great though. I do give it credit for interesting times, Islamic army invading Malta in an attempt to destroy the Order to St John of something or another, an order basically founded to fight Islam, well I guess it was really to protect parts of the Holy Land but failing that just kind of became a knight type order. I haven't done any side research to see how much of this is true or not but it is an interesting story especially if mostly true.

It is many many pages of fighting and killing, it really gives you that war is hell feel throughout. The main characters have a larger than life quality which works at times but at other times it is just hard to believe. As I was reading the book, I kind of knew it was going to work out for some and others were tagged for not working out, while I wouldn't say there wasn't any surprises it was certainly not shocking. Overall though a good read but a lot of work to get through it also.

I have already posted it on PBS, I think there are 12 copies ahead of it. I had ordered a paperback copy last Spring but then over the Summer I found a hard back copy at a library sale. I was able to mail off the paperback copy about a month ago for a credit, but have no idea how long the hard back copy will be around. No hurry though, I have plenty of credits stored up right now. Along with all the credits I also have a ton of books that I need to read as well, the hard part is picking out which is next. I am now reading The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry and Meely LaBauve by Ken Wells. I will probably be picking out a 3rd over the weekend and have several I am considering right now.

No comments: