Saturday, February 16, 2013

The 33-Year-Old Rookie--#8 finished

The rest of the title is How I Finally Made It to the Big Leagues After 11 Years in the Minors.  This is a book by & about Chris Coste.  A pretty good read about his baseball life starting in little league & high school and up to getting to the majors.  He ended up getting 4 or 5 years in the majors.  A really good story in preserving, he was basically not recruited out of high school--living in Fargo, ND, it is not really as baseball hotbed.  I year at Junior College with a crazy coach and then transferring to a small college in Fargo area.  He was a star at the small college but again really unnoticed.  Gets on with an Independent League team that folds midway through season and then catches onto another Independent League team that is bad & he plays bad.  One of his breaks happens when a new Independent League team forms in Fargo and he gets a position because he is a hometown kid and he turns that into a starting job.  Couple years later into the minors and eventually into majors with winter ball worked in as well.  If you are a baseball fan you will like this book.

I have already posted it on PBS, there were 2 copies a head of it but I think it would move at some point.  Still reading the John & Jessie Fremont book, that is really a hard book to read fast--I am only on page 108 I think.  I am also kicking slowly along with The Life of Pi.  I should be adding a 3rd into the mix later today.

No comments: