Saturday, July 19, 2014

Terra Nullius--#43 finished

The author travels through No Man's Land in Australia talking about the horrible and genocidal treatment of the Aborigines in Australia.  I really had studied or read much about Australia and was pretty shocked at what I read.  I remember in the Sydney Olympics there was a big deal that one of Australia's best long distance runners was an Aborigine and that it got a lot of press.  I kind of remember references to 2nd class citizens but no details only that the county seemingly embraced her & that helped relations.  I guess not being in area where colonialism hit at least recently, it is had to imagine this happening.  The US has the Native Americans and also the Africans brought over as slaves and while there were and probably still are real problems, what happened in Australia is horrible and how long it went on is almost just amazing.  Really makes one think that majority rule really sucks for minorities even in supposed civilized countries.  Would like to say "man" is getting better but can't really say that when minorities are fighting for rights & freedoms all across the globe.

As far as the book, it was just okay.  It touched on lots and gave some detail but was generally scattered and hard to get real conclusions from it.  Also had the feeling that maybe some of this is exaggerated--don't want to say for sure but author seemed to have an agenda in this book.  Maybe not though and things were/are this horrible but I can't say this book has all the answers either.

This is an ex-library book and it has some water stains & food stains so is not postable.  It will go to my stack of books that will get donated or turned in for credit at a used books store.  I am still reading John Stossel's book, a James Patterson book Witness and a book about a wine trip, Corked.  My oldest is wanting me to start the Harry Potter series so I might start the first book there in the next few days too.

No comments: