Thursday, April 25, 2019

Off the Map: Bicycling Across Siberia--#29 finished

I enjoyed the 1 cycling book so much that I jumped into another one right away.  This one is much different in that not a book about racing but instead of traveling the whole of Russia back in the early '80s.  Started in Siberia and most of the account covers that and all the way to St Petersburg.  Siberia is one of those areas that is just a mystery to me and this book helps in some way but also not really.  There is the train track through it but no road, they team of cyclists had to walk the train tracks for several hundreds of miles pushing their bikes for this reason.  The team comprised of 3 or 4 Americans and same for Russians and of course conflicts there.  Great descriptions of people in Siberia and also sort of danced around how people there were trusting of them but still seemed at times to not trust, especially when the guys in suits that were following were around.  Makes me wonder what this travel across Siberia would be like today.  I enjoyed the read.

I will post it on PBS, it will be the only copy in system so maybe it will get moved at some point.

No comments: