Thursday, April 25, 2019

Mary McLeod Bethune--#26 finished

Other than hearing about Bethune Cookman College, I knew nothing about Mary McLeod Bethune.  This is an old book, written & printed in 1951.  It is a used library book and bought it just because I knew nothing about this person other than her last name on the college.  Where I first heard of Bethune Cookman was on the back of my NFL football cards I collected as a kid--Boobie Clark is the one I remembered--how could you forget that name and then looking back over the alumni I remembered Larry Little guard for the Dolphins, my team growing up.  Sorry had to throw in the fun fact there.

The story of Mary McLeod Bethune is a really good and interesting story.  Even if I consider some maybe embellished in the way stories were told, she endured a tough childhood to get an education in the time right after the Civil War and succeeded in founding this school as a grade school and continued to work and grow it to a college for black children that otherwise would have had no chance at an education.  If that is not enough she also became a major influence with FDR and a consultant to the UN.  What a remarkable woman & a life.  I am very glad I read this book.

As I said above this is an older book and given the shape it is in, I will keep it.  No reason to mail off somewhere, there are no WL for it anyway.  I might end up giving away but is a keeper for now.

No comments: