Friday, July 12, 2019

Sao Tome--#46 finished

I am playing catch up for July today.  I finished the one before & now this one about a week ago but finally logging them in today.  This is a book that I had gotten from PBS in Sept of 2010--yes I had to look it up, so it has been on my bookshelf for a long time.  Finally got around to reading it & it was a good read but a tough subject.  It is fiction but based on facts--Jewish children from Portugal were forcibly taken & shipped to island off Africa of Sao Tome to work in sugar fields and basically populate the island.  The island lost many people every year from diseases.  So the Portuguese needing workers were already getting African slaves but also started getting the Jewish children too--the Inquisition was going on & this was a way to rid the countries of the kids & force them to become Catholics.  That is the history the fictional story is wove around.  An interesting story but tough because life there was so fleeting.

The books a little wore & the spine is starting to crack.  There is no WL for the book but there are also no copies either.  At this point I will maybe keep or put in my donate pile, not really sure yet.

No comments: