Friday, April 5, 2024

On the Road--#27 finished

 This is the famous Jack Kerouac classic that sort of started the "beat" generation.  I guess I just don't get it.  It reads as an ongoing thought process where Sal--the main character is around a bunch of crazy people with one Dean basically a criminal.  I sort of see it as a group of people just after WWII that had a lot of steam to blow and didn't want to settle into a life their parents had.  I get that and I get where this just ongoing writing of non-stop stuff going on was probably so different than what other writers were doing that it became a sort of fascinating read but stepping beyond that, again I don't get it.  Didn't like the characters, didn't like the writing, didn't like the book.

It is a classic & my copy is older and sort of beaten up so won't post on PBS, will stick it on a shelf so I have it in case someone else wants to read some day.

No comments: