Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What I am reading--update

I finally finished one of the books I have been reading lately. I finished up My Brother, Ernest Hemingway, by Leicester Hemingway. A short read of 256 pages only that gives some good info on Ernest. From having only a very basic knowledge of EH, the book certainly provided more insight, but it also seemed to gloss over or ignore quite a bit as well. The period from the end of WWII to EM's suicide provided little. You do certainly get plenty of info about EM's love of fishing and writing. While EM's four wives are talked about, there really isn't much in the way of detail on these relationships and almost nothing about EM's children. Since I bought the book used for 33 cents, I guess I can't really complain. I don't think it was a waste of time, I just think it could have been much better. Of course the book was written soon after EM's suicide in 1961--point being that personal things that would now be discussed just weren't back then, I would guess. From reading the wikipedia entry on EM, I also learned that the author committed suicide late in his life. Another just tragic ending among many in the Hemingway family.

I am still plugging away at Atlas Shrugged. It is still almost a chore to continue, but I am too far invested in it now to quit. I have also picked up The Light in the Forest by Conrad Richter. A short read that I started very slowly about a week ago when my EM book was missing for a few days(it turned up behind our couch). I know that somewhere in the past, probably around high school times, I have read The Light in the Forest. I saw it on one of my bookcases and after checking my books read lists--have been keeping pages of books read each year since 1997--and not seeing it on any of the lists, I figured it was time to read again. I fully expect I will have it finished long before Atlas Shrugged gets completed, so I will be looking for another book shortly.

No comments: