Tuesday, November 4, 2008

5K 32:46 on 11/2

I ran the St Louis Track Club 5K on Sunday.  It was the smaller race, size & distance wise of the day.  There was also a half marathon that about 1600 people ran.  There was around 200 for the 5k.  

I was hoping to be around 33 minutes and my 32:46 certainly qualifies.  My PR is still 30:55 from the only other 5k that I have run.  I did a training run a couple of years ago at around 29 something though--I was in much better shape since I was in the middle of marathon training.  

The one thing that I really found out was that I need to do more hill training.  They had reversed the course, so instead of ending with a very long hill, you instead started going up that very long hill.  I don't remember my splits but I think the first mile was actually just under 10 minutes--way too fast for going up a long hill.  The uphill was probably for 3/4 of a mile at least.  While I still kicked out times under 11 I think, I was sapped from that first mile effort.  Oh well, live & learn.

There is another 5k coming up in a couple of weeks that I might look to do also.  Still not sure about what distance I will be targeting for the Spring.  Need to start looking at the Frostbite series races also--to do multiple this year.

No comments: