Thursday, December 10, 2009

Running & Reading

Well, it had been over a week since I had gotten a run in but on Wednesday after work I finally did. I went to the community center & hit the walking path above the gym for a nice 3 miles. It was good. Somewhere around 12 minute per mile average maybe a little more. It has been cold here all week so running outside in the cold and the dark just isn't going to happen so it will probably be the community center for a while to get some runs in.

Right now I am reading 3 books, working my way to 80 for the year. I have 77 completed so these 3 should get me to 80 and I might even have time for another 1 or 2 as well. I am reading Blow a true story about a big time drug runner in the '70s and maybe '80s--I have only been reading about the 70's so not sure when it all comes crashing down for him. Actually can't come soon enough. Reading this book just makes me realize how scummy these guys, how they really need to take a lot of the blame for screwing up this country as well as the many lives it affected. Interesting book with some info on drugs that I really had no idea about. Just wish people would be able to quit this stuff.

Also reading A Moveable Feast by Hemingway. It is about his time in Paris in the 1920s. He wrote it or put it together in the late 50s and early 1960s right before he killed himself. I am about 60 pages in and not really sure what to think of it. I like his writing style but not really sure where this is going, if there is really a point to this book or not--I will just have to work through it and see.

Finally the 3rd book is A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton, the first of her Kinsey Millhone alphabet mystery books. I haven't read it yet, but have read probably half a dozen others in this series. Figured it was time to go back and see how it all started.

I am up to 40 credits with PBS right now and actually have one more book to be delivered to get me to 41. I haven't had a Wish List book pop up in a long time so I think I am just going to wait a couple of weeks and see if any do. A lot or probably too many of my WL books are the hard to find variety so I know I will need patience but also realize that some will probably never show up too. I will not be mailing off any of these 3 books. Blow was one I got from PBS but while reading it the spine cracked in one place so it is not postable now. I will be keeping my Hemingway books and will probably keep the Sue Grafton books for now as well. I have many, many books that need to be read so I will be busy in the coming year as well.

No comments: