Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lapham Rising--#31 finished

I guess satires don't play well for me. I really am/was not excited about this book. Parts were funny in a sense & other parts sort of made you think the author had a point but altogether just not anything I really enjoyed. I had a college professor that hated Donald Trump and all he stood for, and this was around 1990, I can't imagine what he would say today about "The Apprentice" and everything else Trump. Anyway I get the point that living to excess is not good and I generally agree with this, but I just didn't think the book was very effective in bringing the point out.

I did enjoy the main character as a curmudgeon but even this went overboard. The whole talking dog thing, I didn't get and basically didn't care for--I guess the curmudgeon needed someone to talk back and forth with throughout the book. Also the whole Hamptons life isn't something I have any desire to understand or contemplate and probably had a lot to do with my not really liking the book.

Oh well, not everyone is going to be my cup of tea. I have posted it on PBS, there are 4 copies ahead of it so I am not expecting it to move for some time. Also the Bad Times in Buenos Aires timed out for the one person who had it on his WL, so that is also now a waiting game. No problem, I think they will both move at some point but might be even a year before it happens though.

No comments: