Monday, May 10, 2010

The Shelters of Stone--#27 finished

It had been a while since I had finished a book. This was a long one, 891 pages & I had been working on it for over a month, at least. This is the 5th book in Jean Auel's Earth Children series that started with Clan of the Cave Bear--that became a Daryl Hannah movie way back when. In my mind, and now on the blog, have to credit this series with helping getting me back into reading. I have really enjoyed reading the books in the series and I think she is working on another or more as well. It took her some time to get the 5th book done, something like 8 or so years between the 4th and 5th books.

I liked this one, The Shelters of Stone, it had to go back and do some reminding for the reader about Ayla's history, which was helpful since it had been a while since I read the 4th book. I guess this one though just didn't have anything that I thought was major happen to it. It was a lot more foreshadowing going on, which is fine, I just hope the next book comes sooner rather than later. This was a lot more of Ayla and her now husband Jondalar getting settled into the life of his people and Ayla introducing the many new and different things she knows to them. Like I said though it was mostly about laying the groundwork for the next book or so it seemed to me. Good read and I think a good addition to the series certainly helping the story on. This one goes into my keeper stacks with the others in the series so that at some time I can do a re-read of it.

I am also working on Spitting Feathers, a kind of romance type or chic lit type book. I also started The Attack about 2 weeks ago but didn't get very far at all in it, but will probably keep at it. Tonight I also just started out on The Queen of the Ring, a book about female wrestler Mildred Burke from the '40s & '50s.

No comments: