Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The True Sources of the Nile--#7 finished

I was pleasantly surprised at how I enjoyed this book, especially the 2nd half of it. The first half was slow and spent much time developing the characters to where the reader would feel some connection with them. The 2nd half started with the uprising and massacre in Burundi and how Anne reacts to that along with her feelings toward her boyfriend and lover Jean Pierre and his role in this and previous uprisings. I also enjoyed how Anne's life in the US still continued onward and once she was pulled back into that orbit how that life contrasted with her African life. The relationships at home with her sisters and her mother were complex but it seemed she was always looking for a way out from there and in the end leaves the US again for an overseas job in Malaysia.

If you can get through the beginnings of the novel, the 2nd half is really worth it for the read. Like I said I did enjoy reading it. I have posted it on PBS but there are 4 or 5 copies ahead of it so it probably won't move for a while.

I am still working on The Hour I First Believed, man it is going slow but hope to get more than a few pages read today on my day off. Also just starting the final Twilight book as a favor for my oldest--she really wants to read it but because of adult themes we haven't let her. I have agreed to read it and then decide so she is really really hoping I will let her--we will just have to see. I have not read any of the Twilight books but did see the first movie and wasn't very impressed, oh well.

No comments: