Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Passage--#46 finished

Well it took a long time to get this book finished. I might need to check back but I think I started it in late June, after our vacation. Obviously I could not really get into this book especially the beginning. It was only the last week or so that I really hit reading it and finished the last 300 pages or so. The beginning was slow and the middle slow and finally when it comes together at the end after 766 pages, the end is not clean. You can figure out or at least guess at how things continued but there is no real answer in the book. Too me after putting that much time in I would like to have a cleaner finish. Oh well maybe a 2nd book is planned and something had to be left open or maybe it is just the writer's style, this was the first book of his that I read.

This is a vampire book, but not at all like a more traditional vampire book or the more Twilight modern vampires. It is kind of a futuristic vision of what if vampires were created. It is a very creative idea and story. The role of God played by a little girl still doesn't make much sense. She was ordained for this position early on but yet the vampires ruled earth for 90 or 100 years before she found help to step in and stop it. While she kind of had God like abilities, it was also that she wasn't self aware of what her role or self was. The scene in the zoo before the vampires let loose or even before she was given the virus, showed the animals knew something about her but without the virus why was that. Again if she was ordained as God or Gold like, then why wasn't she more self aware. Her character didn't make much sense to me.

Oh well, lots to like in the book, especially if you are a vampire fan. It is long and for me was even longer than expected. Liked the story even if in many parts it just took too long to get where it was going. If there is a continuation of this story, I think I would be interested in that but I really doubt that is the case.

I will be posting it on PBS, there were over 600 WL for it last I checked so moving it should not be a problem. I am still reading The White Queen and The Emperor's Tomb. I have also just started DW, Darrell Waltrip's autobiography. I might look to start a fourth book as well but probably not tonight.

No comments: