Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Red Square--#12 finished

This is the 3rd Arkady Renko book by Martin Cruz Smith. It has been 20 to 30 years since I read the first one Gorky Park, but still remember it as very good. At least that was my opinion then at a very different age. I read the 2nd book Polar Star a year or two ago and really enjoyed it. Red Square is good but not quite as good as Polar Star--my memories of Gorky Park are just not good enough to try to compare. The time is 1991 in USSR which has just moved to more democratic ways. He travels to Berlin & Munich Germany and walks across where Checkpoint Charlie(I think that was what it was called) was located and saw where the wall had come down. It is an interesting time period and moves the series along but not a great read. I will continue the series though.

I am keeping the books in this series at this point and since there are already lots of copies on PBS really no need in posting it anyway. Reading American Buffalo and Devil's Dream and a 3rd book that I can't remember the name at this point. Not sure if I will start a 4th book tonight or not.

No comments: