Friday, February 3, 2012

The Sheltering Sky--#8 finished

This is a book that I had for a couple years I think and finally got around to reading. It was written in the 1950s I think and it was about an American couple and a male friend of theirs that travel to Northern Africa soon after WWII. It is a very good book, with the problems the couple are going through, some issues with their friend, people they meet and then eventually the husband dies. The wife kind of goes nuts and then goes native. I had read a review so I knew the husband dies but the ending really threw me, I wasn't expecting that but it still made sense. I am guessing this ending made this a contraversial book when it came out, but I know the author had problems getting it published too--probably because of the ending.

This is one of those books that I was thinking about keeping but instead I think I will post it on PBS & mail it off to someone else to enjoy. There are no WL for it and no copies on the system either. I expect it won't be long though before this book is requested & I am mailing it off.

No comments: