Sunday, January 12, 2014

Mr. Adams's Last Crusade--#2 finished

It is a slow start to 2014 for my reading but at least I have to say this was a very good book.  I knew that John Quincy Adams served in the House after being President and was an abolitionist but had no idea really of the person and the journey he had in life.  A very interesting person and a very interesting read.  This book was more focused on his time after being President but did go through his earlier career as well.  A good principled man who should have been a good President but as the book described the role of politics was changing then and Adams wasn't changing with it.

This book makes me more interested in life back in slave times, it touched on the slave owners in Congress and how they fought to keep slavery and even to keep it from being brought up for discussion.  That is an interesting time and I will have to look for other books of the period as well as into the Civil War too.

I will be posting this book on PBS at some point, there are 3 WL for it but I don't think it has moved much if any for the last 6 months or so.  I am still reading the 1413 words book and have finally broken through the beginning portion and am now around page 100 where I hope it opens up and can be read a little more easily.  I am also still picking away at the short story book but progress there is slow too.  I also have the Bernsen, Wells, Soldier book but not far long in it at all.  Not sure if I will start another right away or not.  I really need to concentrate on what I have started & get some done in those books but there are many many books that I also want to read too.

No comments: