Thursday, February 20, 2014

Nowhere Near the Sea of Cortez--#9 finished

An interesting read about a small Illinois town in 1969.  Lots of weird characters that keep it kind of light but also some real happenings and emotions that give the book enough of a real feel to it as well.  Parts almost have a cartoonish feeling and other parts are sad and almost hopelessness type feelings.  This is or was at least then a Missouri writer so that is why I bought the book years ago at a library sale, finally read it because it looked like it would be a quick read, which it really wasn't.  I will still qualify it as a good read though, surprising in lots of ways and did have lots packed into its just over 200 pages.  There is the start to some very good characters that I would mind if he fleshed them out a little more jumping a head in time to see what happens to them, but since book is 13 years old, I am guessing any hope for that has passed.

I have posted it on PBS, it is the only copy on the system so I would hope it will move at some point down the road.  I am reading The Scorch Trials and The Mystery of Olga Chekhova.  I might add another book tonight or wait till over the weekend to do so.

No comments: