Tuesday, December 23, 2008

More Books

I didn't have time to get a run in tonight so instead I stopped at one of the nearby libraries before going grocery shopping.  Picked up four books for one whole dollar.  It is a bargain even before I mention a name of a book.

First, I found King Jesus by Robert Graves.  I read Graves book, Goodbye to All That(I think that is the name) back in college.  It was an autobiography of his time in WWI.  I remember kind of liking it, but also the author being a little strange.  I also remember him being a well respected writer too, so I figured that was enough to buy the book.  Checking a wikipedia on it, it sounds like Graves has some out there beliefs and has kind of moulded the book into them.  In other words the book would definately not be considered accurate by the Catholic church.  Interesting but pretty far down my list of books to read.

Next, I found Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.  I recognized Atwood as a author I should probably be more familiar with than I am.  This sounds like again an interesting read, but not sure when it will be fit in.

Third, I found The Last Brother by Joe McGinniss which is supposed to be about Ted Kennedy, but more like Joe Kennedy & foreward.  I am not a big fan of the Kennedys so thought it might provide some info about them at least.

Finally, found Prairie Visions, The Life and Times of Solomon Butcher by Pam Conrad.  It is more of a kids book but it is about Solomon Butcher a photographer/everything else, guy in turn of the century Custer County Nebraska.  I saw some good photos of sod houses and the tough families that lived in them.  Was instantly attracted to the photos, the writing didn't matter too much on getting this book.  

Still working away at War & Peace and Plague Dogs but not going very fast on either.

No comments: