Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Breath--#41 finished

A good coming of age story about a couple of boys in a small coastal town in Australia that become friends with a 30 something hippie surfer. The boys were already risk takers and finding Sando & surfing is their next step. The whole buddy thing & surfing was the main part of the story until the last 20 maybe 30 pages. Then suddenly Sando & Loonie leave the country to have at waves around Indonesia, leaving Bruce with Sando's girlfriend Eva. Eva is a screwed up person and does her best to screw up Bruce as well, at least sexually. A really different book at the end, while it makes sense and is intersesting, it wasn't what I was expecting.

All in all I guess a good read but a little troubling at the end, it was not a nice happy ending type book, although Bruce does seem to accept his life. I will be happy to pass it along on PBS, there are 21 WL for it so it should move easily. We are getting ready to head back out on vacation so I will probably wait a couple weeks before posting it.

Been looking at vacation books again, the older mass media paperbacks with many copies on PBS are the best. If anything happens to them, either in transport or while at the cabin, oh well, no problem so long as I can still read the book. I don't want to screw up a book that is postable, but will have to see what I feel like & choose.

Reading Ordinary Springs, a girl coming of age--maybe, in Florida and also just started No Comebacks, a short story book by Frederick Forsyth from the 1970s. Not far along with either one, I am guessing both will be going on vacation with me, unless I go crazy about reading one in the next few days.

No comments: