Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Longshot--#62 finished

I really enjoyed this book about a basketball player, Lance Allred.  The sentence after the title describes it better than I could hope to--The Adventures of a Deaf Fundamentalist Morman Kid and His Journey to the NBA.  A really good book that gave great insight into his basketball life.  While his NBA career only lasted 3 games, the work he put into and the trials he went through were interesting to read about.  It is a tough life to be a fringe professional like that, I don't think too many people realize that.  They see the pros in sports at the highest levels making millions and millions and don't realize the many layers below that that are living in near poverty to play a game they love for a chance at more.  Lance wrote the book and his writing style is also very good.  He is in process of writing other books of fiction as well.

I will probably be posting it on PBS at some point, I think there are 3 or 4 WL for it.  I have been kind of saving up the other WL books that I have read to see if I could bundle them to save on postage and/or trouble of mailing.  Since there are not many WL for this book, will probably just post & mail.  I am now down to 2 books reading--Goodnight Steve McQueen, which I think I am around 100 pages to go--could finish it this weekend and No Greater Courage, the Civil War book, but only like 40 pages into it.  I will be looking for a 3rd book to start tonight.

No comments: