Monday, January 7, 2013

Ride of Your Life--#2 finished

This is a book by Lyn St. James the race car driver about her life.  I had heard of her as a driver back in the '90s, I guess, but that is really all I knew of her.  It is a pretty interesting story, where she was basically a secretary married to a guy that liked to race cars.  She wanted to try racing in the '60s or '70s and he let her have an older car of his when he moved up in class to a newer car.  She took off from there.  She didn't go into much of the relationship with her first husband or even the 2nd husband--I think it was only the two.  The book bounced back in forth between some of her experiences and her attempt to qualify for Indy in 2000, which she did but it was a very good story.  An interesting touch the surface kind of book about her, but there has to be a lot more that was left out.  I am not sure it will ever be written though since she is sort of out of the news now--that is too bad because racing could use some more diversity.  Good read and good stories about racing.

I have already posted it on PBS and there are a few copies a head of it, like 3 or 4.  I guess it will be sitting around for a while and that is okay.  I am still reading Land of Painted Caves, around 340 pages in but it has around 770 so long way to go yet.  I am also reading The Princes in the Tower about the 2 princes killed in the London Tower in 1483 and the mystery and attempts to figure it out.  I also just started tonight Recipes From the Dump.

No comments: