Friday, February 1, 2008

Snow Day & Other Stuff

Here in St Louis we got hit with some snow. It started on Thursday and during the overnight we really got hit--somewhere around 8", but seemed like a ft when shoveling. I had the day off, so it was nice not having to clean off the car & get moving early--I was able to ease into it. The kids got out and played in it for a short time also. Angie basically had to stay on our front porch, the snow was too deep for her to walk in. It wasn't good packing snow, so no snow fights or anything. Mostly sledding and just playing in it. Thomas kept laying on his stomach and making karate chops into the snow--I think he liked how deep it was.

We had a meeting earlier this week with the team at school about Thomas and his behavior. He is too easily distracted at school and has a very hard time following directions. There were some good ideas that the school is going to implement to hopefully help the situation. Also it was mentioned that he hasn't remembered all of the words he has known in the past. This is surprising because he does have a very good memory. Debbie made little flash cards so we can go over his words. Also she has been working with him on reading the last couple of days. He actually read a couple of pages in a Dick & Jane book that we have. We were all pretty excited, especially Thomas. I read to Thomas everynight, but I don't make him read to me. I will start making him read and go over his words if he hasn't already done so with Debbie from now on. It is good to see progress, now if we could just get that on his potty training we would be in business.

I was able to put some good time in with my books the last couple of days. Wuthering Heights is moving along. Heathcliff just seems like a dick and I am not really sure why anyone is wasting time with him. I am to the part where it is just after Isabella has married him. I am so far pretty unimpressed with the characters, no one seems to have a decent mind. Every character so far seems a little over the top bizzare. I am having a hard time caring about any of the characters. Since it is a classic and one of those books that I should read, I will push on and see what comes, but not too impressed at this point.

My 2nd book is The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. Still early, only 70 some pages into it, so can't really say much about it yet. From some of the reviews I had read previously, it should have a little action involved at some point and some mystery as well. I am hoping I can kind of push through it kind of quick. I have a feeling Wuthering Heights might be bogging me down and I don't want two books doing that to me at the same time.

Well, McCain won Florida and seems to have a lot of momentum right now. I am not sure Romney will be able to overcome it. I guess McCain would be better than either Obama or Clinton, but I doubt it will be by much. The other thing I am wondering about is if McCain would be able to run for a 2nd term if elected. Given his age, his choice of a running mate will be more important than just helping get him elected. I don't know what percent chance the VP might have in becoming President, but it would probably be much larger than any recent VP--probably since Reagan's 2nd term. Just something I was thinking about, not sure who would be on the list, but some guesses might be: Huckabee, Libermann, Hagel, Mel Martinez(FL governer whose endorsement certainly helped carry FL for McCain), Colin Powell and Fred Thompson. Guiliani is probably on the very short list for Attorney General. I don't think Romney would have any part of a McCain run, Mitt's negative ads I think has turned him off as a running mate. Libermann would really upset the conservative base, but that is what they deserve in going for McCain because he seems to be electable. I don't know, I guess I am still a little bitter about this since I don't see Romney as being able to stop McCain, oh well we will certainly see.

No comments: