Monday, January 28, 2008

New Book Source

Tonight I skipped running while the kids were at PSR & instead went to the library with my own books to read. Walking in the door, I had to stop at the two tables of books they had for sale. I ended up buying 5 books for the grand total of $1.50--this just cannot be beaten. I will be popping in other libraries as well and checking out their for sale tables also. I ended up getting a hardcover of Anthem by Ayn Rand, The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, Call It Sleep by Henry Roth, Ten Thousand Lovers by Edeet Ravel and God Clobbers Us All by Poe Ballantine. I just did a quick check through some reviews and it sounds like each book is very good. I am very happy with adding these to my expanding collection. The first 3 are basically classics--even though I hadn't heard of Call It Sleep before tonight, I saw it is on Time's Top 100 list since 1923. Ten Thousand Lovers is kind of a lovestory in Israel and since I seem to have an attachment to read and learn about Israel I figured why not. I bought the Poe Ballantine book simply because when I was reading the about author section it mentioned he now lives in Chadron, NE--I have to support in my own way NE authors or at least those that live in NE.

I was going to show each book to my wife tonight when I got home, but she just saw them and questioned if I had room for them. She isn't feeling well so I didn't push it and explain each book, even though I am kind of excited about getting them. I guess that is one reason I am blogging, so I can express myself here when in real life it doesn't always seem to matter to anyone else.

No State of the Union for me, I just wasn't excited enough to care/want to watch it. Even though it is GWB's final one, to me it is also his 8th one. I guess I am just too disappointed in his presidency to now get worked up about what he was going to say in a speech. I do think he has accomplished some very good things while in office, tax cuts & nominations to federal courts--especially the Supreme Court, I just think there should have been much more done. I watched a little post speech roundtable/tv screen on MSNBC where they mentioned he is threatening Veto now on spending bills with too many earmarks. Where was this from day 1 along with forcefully pushing for the Line Item Veto. I saw a Romney commercial last fall that mentioned this, where he would not be afraid to use the Veto on spending bills. I think that commercial has stuck with me and is a factor in why I support him today. I guess I see Romney and Bush as similar candidates, I just hope if Romney gains the Presidency his term will not be the disappointment that Bush's has become to me. Tomorrow's Florida primary will go a long way in determining if Romney will get the nomination or not. Those same talking heads felt Romney was getting a late push in Florida but the latest polling data was showing him 3 points behind McCain, within margin of error(something I didn't hear mentioned tonight).

No comments: