Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ride the Lightning--#22 finished

A good quick read mystery set in the 1980s in St Louis. Kind of a fun read about the town just a few years before I moved here. Reading about neighborhoods and streets and stuff. The book itself was okay but part of that was it is dated now. It is an Alo Nudger book so I am guessing it is a series of some kind, might look for others in it but won't be a priority or anything. The storyline itself wasn't anything great, a guy was caught after a blown robbery at a liquor store where two people are shot dead and he is a week away from the electric chair. A previously unknown girlfriend hires the private eye Alo Nudger to try to prove the boyfriend's innocence. Well cutting to the chase, the girlfriend was wearing a wig and fake mustache and looked like the boyfriend and she was actually the one who committed the crime this time while he drove the getaway car. He never gave her up and Nudger didn't figure it out until after the execution happened, in the end girlfriend commits suicide. Not a great story but will give some points to creativity at least.

This is a book that I got in one of those 3 or 4 for 1 deals in the book bazaar. There had been consistently 3 copies or so on the PBS system since I got this book. Well about a month ago it had shrunk to 1 copy left and then down to zero left so I figured I would read it and post it. Once I got 100 pages read, of the 196, I posted it and a day later someone was requesting the book. I have no idea why this book has become popular, but doesn't really matter. I had to hurry up and finish it so I can mail it off early next week. I really wasn't expecting this book to move given that it is over 25 years old but goes to show you never know.

Still reading The Shelters of Stone and The Yacoubian Building, will look to add a 3rd book also.

No comments: