Sunday, December 19, 2010

Our Souls to Keep--#85 finished

Our Souls to Keep: Black/White Relations in America is the full title, it gives you a better idea of what the book is actually about. I think the book was okay. The author continued to make points that I thought useful, that there is a difference between black middle class & black underclass. Also stressing the upbringing of the underclass is a large reason why it is hard to break out of there. The author was a student and worker and professor in the '60s & '70s so a lot of the upheaval at the time is reflected in the book. There were several places in the book that just didn't seem timely, more like a how things were. Now maybe there are still open racists in places besides white power meetings but generally speaking in work places & schools, I don't see it. Some of his examples just didn't reflect anything close to present times.

Overall not too bad, it does let me think about my relationships as well as children in school with my kids but not something really useful as a resource either. The book was published in 1999 so it is already over ten years old and like I said much of the book is from earlier than that. A more current book about now on this topic would be much more useful and interesting to know what are seem as current issues between the races.

I have posted it on PBS, there are no copies on the system and no WL for it. I have no idea how long it will take before it is requested but I would guess a couple months. Of course I can be wrong or surprised in each direction too. By the way Epilogue was requested hours after I posted it and it is already in the mail to someone.

No comments: