Saturday, September 17, 2011

Honey in His Mouth--#53 finished

This book was written back in 1956 by Lester Dent, creator of Doc Savage, but was not published till recently by his estate. I hadn't read any of his other books or the Doc Savage books but this one seemed interesting. A small time hustler in Missouri has identical looks to a South American dictator. A group of the dictator's friends/advisors have been skimming money for years from the country and want to use the double to get the money out of international banks & into their hands. Not a great story or anything and some interesting characters but not a bad read. It is kind of like what I figured a book written in the 1950s would be like. Long stays in the hospital, guy that hits women, lots of drinking and smoking, police that somehow track obscure stuff down and so on. Not saying it is bad, but just different. I did like the book somewhat but it really isn't my normal book either so I guess overall just kind of neutral about it.

I will be posting it on PBS, I think there were still 2 WL for it so hope to mail it off soon. Still reading the Clinton vs Starr book, the Civil War book and the Flame Lake book. I don't think I will be starting a 4th now, maybe when I am closer to finishing one of the others.

No comments: