Saturday, September 24, 2011

To Make Men Free--#55 finished

This is a very good book about the Civil War during the time of the Battle of Antietam. It is fiction but with tons of research to make it appear as probable as possible. The pressures of all involved on both the military and political sides--Lee vs McClellan, Lincoln vs McClellan and Lincoln vs his own cabinet. A very good read. I have read a couple of Civil War books where there is no story just a spewing of facts, which while interesting, lose something over several hundred pages. This book has the facts but also wraps the whole story of what was actually going on with the main characters and even the soldiers at this time. Highly recommend this book. I was even thinking about making it a keeper but decided I would rather share it with others. I have ordered the next book by this author on the Battle of Fredericksburg.

I have posted it on PBS and there is one copy ahead of it, so it should move at some point. I am still reading the Clinton vs Starr book and just started Everything a Kevin Canty book. I will probably start a 3rd book either tonight or tomorrow as well.

No comments: