Monday, March 30, 2020

Another Brooklyn--#23 finished

The story of 4 middle school and into high school girls growing up in the late '70s in Brooklyn.  All 4 are African American and all 4 become best friends but in ways really do not know each other.  As they grow up they also are sort of forced apart.  The main character is one of the girls & she and her younger brother are back after several years for their dad's funeral.  This underlies the fact that their mother wasn't with them, even though the young girl kept saying the mother will come to them.  Each of the 4 has a troubling problem in the background and for some becomes too much.  A good story about the time & place--white flight and riots in Brooklyn.  An interesting time & good story but still a sad read.

There are around 50 WL for the book so I will post & mail at some point.  Right now with the virus I am not actively posting anything.  I have enough credits so will use them as I need them.  I haven't turned off my account so if someone wants to request from my shelf it is still open.

No comments: