Monday, June 2, 2008

Running

I haven't done much of an update on my running lately. That is probably because there just isn't much of an update to do. I don't have my calendar in front of me, so working off memory kind of. The week of May 19-25, I think I got 3 runs in totaling around 12 miles. I didn't get another run in then until 5/30 and then another run 6/1. On Friday 5/30 I was able to go to Forest Park and do a lap around the park for 6 miles. I was only able to get out at around noon though, it was very hot. The first 3 miles were okay--on the 3rd I did a gu so it was a little slow. After that though I really started feeling the heat and did a lot more walking. The last 3 miles were 14+ minutes. Given that I hadn't run in 5 days I was happy to just get the miles in.

On Sunday after chasing the kids at the park, I went for my run around 5:00pm. Again it was hot. This time I did my Woodson Rd to Olive to Midland & back home again route. It is around 6.5 miles. This time the first 4 were okay, slow in the 12:30+ range but not too bad. The last 2 & 1/2 miles were not very good. One of them included a stop to refill my water bottle at a park restroom, but again a lot more walking than I wanted.

I think both runs ended up around an average mile time of 13:40 while not near where I want to be, given the heat I will take it at this point. Also the other positive is that I felt okay after both runs and also the next days. On my Friday run I was kind of worried about dehydration and that causing a general weardown for me but that didn't happen. Now I do need to push myself through these runs and get myself acclimated with the heat much better than I have done in years past, but I will take the results from these two runs and build on them.

No plans yet on upcoming races. I would still like to get a 5k in sometime, somewhere. Also I am still thinking about the 1/2 marathon in Sept and the other one in Nov here locally.

My other fitness goal is one that I have talked about but not accomplished yet--riding my bike to work and home. With the weather getting better and the gas prices going higher I think I am getting closer to talking myself into this. I also want to get up and do a little workout--run or bike ride in the mornings once or twice a week also.

June is here so some of these things I have kind of put off until the weather got better can no longer be put off. By the way, the scraping of the garage has started--no date yet on when it will be painted though. I guess the garage will now fall into my regular updates as well.

No comments: