Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Witches of Eastwick--done

During vacation last week, I had taken along a Clancy book as my page turner, but it was ignored. Instead my full attention was given to The Witches of Eastwick. I will agree with a review on the cover that Updike is clever, at least with this book. Too me it seemed to end too abruptly with just a few short paragraphs explaining what happened to each of the witches and other main characters. I will give credit though to the characters in the book, they developed nicely throughout and some of the undefined or unclear issues I had early in the book, I now am guessing that was on purpose. It helped show the characters were also unsure of themselves or their powers. I also liked that some of the '60s came out in the book but was not thrown out there, it was only brought out in more subtle mentions.

Overall, not really a favorite book. I am glad that I have read it and I will certainly look to read more Updike in the future but to me it just wasn't all that good of a book. I would have a hard time recommending it to anyone. I might try to find a copy of the movie though and see how it looks in pictures.

I will now go back to reading Fatima some. I did take it along on vacation but never opened it. I will also be looking for another book, not sure if the Clancy book will fit the bill or not yet. I have quite a pile of books to go through and consider right now.

As far as other news. My son was tired from playing outside a lot today as well as still recovering from a weeks vacation. What this added up to was a very crabby boy. Because he was crabby, I didn't take him along when I did a quick grocery shopping trip and then picked up a pizza. Well while I was unpacking the groceries, Thomas slipped outside and threw a rock through my back passenger side door window. Either before or after this he stripped down and was naked as well. There goes $250 on my Comp deductible for getting the window replaced and the glass cleaned up, I am guessing. Pretty sure it will be over the $250 but will probably check it out first before turning in the claim. What fun.

No comments: