Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bright Shiny Morning--#15 finished

An interesting book about Los Angeles. I took some getting used to the author's writing style. He really jumps around and introduces several people in the book, many that he never returns to. There ends up being basically 4 story lines though that he follows. Like I said it was interesting, not anything great but not bad. At the beginning I was interested in some of the other possible story lines he introduced but like I said he never came back to them. Not sure why but kind of wish he would have.

The more I think of it, I am not really sure what I think at this point about the book. I think it did a pretty good sales job on Los Angeles, I am seeing it in a different light than before, a more positive light. Really interesting history that I wasn't aware of and really only scratched the surface in this book. Interesting thoughts toward the end of the book during a piece with a French art critic and an artist in Los Angeles about how the old world, Europe and even New York are dying and even older art forms like ballet and symphonies are dying and the new stuff happening in Los Angeles in particular was the future. The TV, movies, the younger and riskier art stuff, etc all happening in LA. Some of these sideline pieces were more interesting and thought provoking than the 4 storylines, although the storylines were interesting also. Like I said right now not really sure what to think about it, probably more just an okay type book though.

I know there are still several people on PBS that have it on the WL so I will probably post it later this week. I have one book to mail tomorrow or Tuesday already. Still working on Rising Tide and also started Marathon Man.

No comments: