Friday, March 19, 2010

Ultra Marathon Man--#16 finished

This an autobiography by Dean Karnazes, an amazing Ultra Marathoner. It is a good read about some of his more memorable runs and accomplishments. It also gave his history and some of what inspires him. A good read and introduction into ultramarathoning, but he doesn't really mention any of the others out there doing this. Ultramarathoning is more than Dean Karnazes but the reader doesn't really get that from this book. To me it is not that big of a deal because he was not writing about ultras but rather about himself. I had heard this criticism of his book years ago when it came out. While a history of ultras would be nice and probably a very good read for many, Dean is the main name in ultras and the fact he was/is popular enough to get a book published is a big deal.

Like I said a good read with some memorable parts throughout about what he was feeling or experiencing during these endurance events. Events that most people cannot even begin to imagine. Right now I think this is a keeper book for me. I will probably put it with my Bowerman book in my small running collection.

No comments: