Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Quick Update

Finished reading The Red Pony by Steinbeck. I really enjoyed it, easy to read and characters were interesting. It has made me want to read more Steinbeck, don't know how quick I will get around to it though. I think I have a copy of the Grapes of Wrath someone among all of my books. Right now I am just sticking with the 2 books, Hemingway & Jake and The Biography of Ancient Israel. I have complained enough about the Ancient Israel book so far, but I really do want to just force myself to get through it.

I wasn't able to run like I normally do on Monday night. The kids had Mass instead of class for PSR. Thomas fell asleep about 15 minutes in and was out until Mass was over. This saved my normal either wrestling match with him or continuously asking him to not talk so loud.

Since I didn't run Monday, I ran tonight. I went to the high school track which still has some lights on so I am not running in complete darkness. I ran there once last week and have kind of figured it will be my normal running spot for after work. Tonight I did some speed work. I have never really tried to do speed work before so I just kind of winged it. I probably need to tighten up my distances and speed so I can actually follow a little better about what I want to accomplish. Overall I did 3.3 miles, the 1st and 3rd miles are where I did my speed work. On the first mile I did 4 speed parts of around 300 meters but not very fast. I used the whole 2nd mile to basically recover with a very slow jog pace and walking. The third mile I did 200 meter speed parts with recovery of 100 to 200 meters. I at first wanted to keep my pace below 10:30, but actually kept it below 9:30 most of the time and even got it below 8:00 for a time or two, I think 7:44 was the fastest time I saw. I am very happy about this. For me it could mean that I do have some more speed in me and that I just need to work on this during training to bring out some of this speed. Of course this was only once, I will have to start doing this at least once a week to see results.

Well I am tired, I think it is from the running. It is time to call it a day, well maybe a page or two in one of my books first.

No comments: